Friday, October 9, 2009

The london Convention kicked me in the ass.



So this trip forced me to look at myself and my approach, in a way that I absolutely needed. Everywhere we went, from the visit to the Tate Britain to the pubs across town, all the way to the convention itself; I was forced to realize it’s time to step up my game.
The Tate was an inspiration for all of the obvious reasons. Anyone that has seen these paintings in books and collections that doesn't sit back and curse to themselves when they see the real thing, will get nothing out of this post. The part I want to go into with this post, is the overwhelming repeated presence of the thought, "why the hell aren't I producing with the focus and intensity that these folks are?"
When looking at the work in the museum it is easy to point out that many of those folks were paid handsomely to do just what they did. But there are as many, or more, that did what they did because they simply had to. Their drive and focus was unwavering and it showed throughout. That same attitude was as clear all over the city. Even the pubs contained examples of what an individuals passion when directed and realized can accomplish. I absolutely do not limit that to fine art. When the drive is applied to a fellows pub, or shop it shows in every way. From the beer, to the choices in food presentation, all the way to the more obvious decor. One pub we visited had cobwebs and dust on every picture and odd decoration... But the fellow running the place had so clearly put his heart into the place and the people in it you would have to be a stone to remain uninspired.


As for the convention it was of course motivating as hell. Seeing folks that I respect, and watching their approach was overwhelming. Especially when I was forced time and again to ask myself, "why the hell aren't I producing with the focus and intensity that these folks are?"
I recognize I am good at what I do. My biggest issue is when I view my approach as compared to the folks I respect. I am absolutely not fishing for anyone to tell me anything uplifting. I am not upset or questioning myself that way. This is simply to point out the fact that I recognize my need to embrace more fully my goals, ambitions, and really... my passions.

The folks I got to spend my time with this week were the perfect storm to humble me, and make me think so solidly about my approach. The fellow I traveled with, Turk was absolutely a catalyst for lighting a fire under my ass. We were both equally humbled and inspired by the sights and conversations of this past week. The place where I win is that I got to be humbled and inspired by him as well. It was good being able to discuss just what can be done to find and embrace the drive to be the best we can be. Much of it comes down to making the time to focus on each individual piece of work. I have the tendency to get caught in routines and they inevitably lead to ruts. That needs to change.
The other folks that I was lucky enough to sit with over dinner and drinks were more than inspiration. Safwan, Jee, Stef, Demetri, and Eric are each a fine example of what realized drive and passion can accomplish. I can only hope to get across the feeling of awe when looking at the quality and volume of work they put out. It is humbling to say the very least. If you follow the links I attached to their names you can at least get a feel for what they are about.
So to sum all of this up... I plan to make some changes in my life, my work, and my drive to embrace them. This certainly is not solely the result of this single trip, bit this week absolutely crystallized this feeling that has been building for a while now. So thanks to the folks I listed already, thanks to the others that don't even realize the impact they had on me this week, and lastly thanks to my girl for putting up with and supporting this realization.
I'll keep you posted.
-Scott

Below are some Photos from the trip...

Me and the Tower Bridge

Turk and a belly full of pig

Jee, Safwan,Turk, and a sexy beast

Eric, Turk, and Safwan

New anatomy book from the Tate and goodness at The Nag's Head
They were playing Johnny Cash and a ton of other great music the entire time we were there.

Dinner at Black Friars' Steak Pie = awesome

Turk and I along the Thames.

Outside the Tate

A meal uneaten.

Sewing machine in a window.

Turk in the booth.

One of the tattoos I did there. The other photos all are lousy. I'll post em when i get good ones.

Me at Black Friars.

No comments:

Post a Comment